Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beans Beans!


This year I had the most wonderful of intentions of tending a lush, prosperous vegetable garden. I convinced myself that this is the year. Last year Dana took off into the trails in the woods every time I glanced at a weed in the garden. This year I can trust her for two minutes, and I can trust Nora to help keep an eye on Dana and to alert me when she tries to make a break to Grandma and Grandpa's house.

The girls were excited about a garden, too. Nora made a list of things she wanted to plant, and the list itself was so cute I saved it for prosperity. We selected seeds, some tomato and cucumber sets, a couple of gardening tools, and set to work.

As you may have guessed, things did not go as planned. This is due, in part, to the less than ideal summer we have experienced thus far, and in part to the abundance of woodland creatures found snacking on my plants. We lost most of our peas, which is particularly sad because peas fresh from the garden are a favorite at this house. The tomatoes and cucumbers are flowering now, so I am not sure if they will have a chance to produce actual fruit. The asparagus? Ask me next year. Carrots are iffy. But the green beans are doing great! I am a pro at growing green beans. I have an abundance every year. We have been plucking a few for the past couple of days, marveling at the fact that WE planted and tended these! Dana is particularly proud of this fact and particularly fast to pick a handful to share with people so she has an easy opportunity to brag about her success. Today I finally mustered the energy to find a bucket and make our first actual harvest. I am super excited about the beans! My only complaint is that, for some reason, I always get itchy hives on my forearms after picking beans. I am sure the solution is to wear long sleeves but that seems like a lot of work in August. Now I am dreaming of a berry garden, with blueberry bushes and raspberry canes. I just have to find the perfect spot...

No comments: