Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dress


Way back in February, I went shopping and bought a pattern and fabric to sew an Easter dress for Nora. This was not the best idea I have had for a number of reasons. First of all, I am no good at sewing. Really. I can't sew a straight line to save my life, and I get all flustered and grumpy when I am trying to sew. It is not relaxing in the least. I really love to knit and find knitting very relaxing, so I can't figure out why I thought this sewing project was a good idea. I should have picked a nice sweater pattern instead. Second, I was not exactly flush with time last winter. I had just started working on my second bachelor's degree and had plenty of homework to keep me busy. As a result, I finished the dress in July. Like last week. I think it turned out pretty cute. Unfortunately, Nora has grown a lot in the past six months, and the darn dress goes to her mid-thigh. In fact, it fits Dana quite nicely, though Nora is not willing to relinquish the dress to her sister at this point. I haven't decided whether I should add length to the dress via alternating fabric tiers, or if I should just buy coordinating leggings and call it a tunic. And to put the icing on the cake, when Dana saw it her face immediately crumpled and she said, "What about me?" If I start an Easter dress for Dana now, in a size 4T, maybe I will finish by Easter 2009. But I am not sure I am ready to embark on THAT expedition so soon. I believe Kevin's comment upon seeing the finally completed dress was, "What exactly possessed you to sew Nora a dress?" Possessed is right.

No comments: