Monday, January 12, 2009

Crafty Magnets

So like I mentioned in my previous post, the girls had an overnight with Grandma and Grandpa. And like I mentioned in my previous post, I used some of that time to get some stuff done that is easier when I am only supervising myself. I admit that not all of it was "work." Like these magnets I made.

I bought all of the supplies a week ago and have been waiting for an opportunity to try them. I plan to include the girls next time, but I wanted to practice by myself first, and I wanted to make sure the adhesive I bought didn't emit noxious odors or melt the skin right off of my fingers. I am happy to report that it all was safe and easy. And fun! And not my idea. I found the idea here. And I bought my supplies at Michael's, and everything was right where Not Martha said it would be.




I went with the 3/4" size, purchasing 3/4" round magnets, flat glass marbles, and a 3/4" circle paper punch. Not Martha actually traced and cut out her circles, but I am lazy. And I don't have that kind of time. And I am not that good at cutting. Plus when I make them again with my girls, they will be able to punch out their own little circles, which will be more fun for them. And I had a 40% off coupon and some Christmas gift money burning a hole in my imagination.




I originally planned to punch holes out of pretty scrapbooking paper, but it seemed that all of the patterns I had in my stash were big. And my 3/4" size constraint wasn't going to do it. So I decided to use catalogs. I grabbed Hanna Andersson, Pottery Barn, The Company Store and Land of Nod and went to work punching out pretty fabrics and such. And I think they came out rather well. They are strong but not frighteningly so, and they are cute. And much nicer than the advertising and alphabet magnets that held photos and artwork on my fridge yesterday. Too bad the flash made the patterns so hard to see. I never did claim to be a good photographer though.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Thanks for signing on as a numbmum follower. It makes me feel a bit like a cult leader.

Alevin and Company said...

I figured it was time for me to pick a religion, and it may as well be led by you!

Thank you for following mine, too.