Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes, Another Hat

It's safe to say I have been a little hat crazy lately. I have knit at least eight hats this winter, with yarn for two more at home. The joys of knitting a hat are so many! I have tried new techniques, like lace, on something small and manageable. And hats knit up so quickly, so it is pretty close to instant gratification. And most hats (at least, the ones I've been making) use a single skein of yarn, so I can try fancier yarns without going broke. Plus, in this frozen tundra I live in, my family and friends are always happy for a stylish new toque. After all, we require hats 13 months out of the year.



My aunt emailed me right before Christmas and said that her and my mom's cousin was diagnosed with colon cancer and is going through chemotherapy. She knows I have made some chemo caps, so she asked if I might make one for him. And so I did. I used my favorite yarn of late: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. I may have mentioned this yarn before as I have used it for several projects. It is as soft as a cloud and completely itch free, though it is 55% merino wool. I didn't have enough of any one color in my stash, and I have trouble finding this yarn locally, so I thought it was a great opportunity to work with stripes. Not that stripes are new to me, but I have been trying new techniques with striping.

I mailed this soft, stretchy hat off today. I hope it makes this time a little more bearable for him. I am so glad my aunt asked me to knit this!

No comments: